About the program:
The Press Cartooning School represents a unique program built to mentor and develop the skills of the next generation of Moroccan press cartoonists. The first edition will target Moroccan-based participants, hoping to build on it to expand to include other MENA countries.
The program will take
place over a period of 4 months. Every month, we will host 3 online four-hour
long sessions every Sunday, and 1 one-day long in-person workshop on the last
Sunday of every month. In total, we have programmed 5 in-person workshops, and
12 online workshop sessions.
The program encompasses 6 units:
- Introduction to press cartooning
- History of press cartooning
- Artistic practice
- Creativity in press cartooning
- Art techniques
- Cartooning Software
The participants will be assisted in the creation of press cartoons for an electronic magazine that will be edited by Ali Ghamir. The magazine will showcase the work of the budding press cartoonists, and will enable them to share their ideas, opinions, and views on the world with a wider audience.
By the end of the program, Ali Ghamir will curate a virtual exhibition from the participants' works published in the magazine.
The program will take place between the 17th of January and the 9th of May 2021.
The online workshops will be held on Zoom. The in-person workshops will be held at the American Language Center in Casablanca.
Who can apply:
- Moroccan citizens aged between 18 and 35.
- You must be based in Casablanca or be able to travel to Casablanca for the 5 one-day-long workshops.
- You must be interested in learning about press cartooning, drawing, and journalism.
- This program is ideal for journalism students, arts students, and budding press-cartoonists.
- No prior experience in press cartooning or drawing is required.
How to apply:
This is a fully-funded opportunity: Tuition, and internet (for the students presenting the need), meals, refreshments, and course materials are provided free of charge to all accepted participants.
Certificates of completion will be given to the participants at the end of the program.
Selected participants will receive Graphic Tablets, and the opportunity to publish their work in international platforms.