The Summer Camp brings young writers from across Morocco together to spend a week at an intensive writing residency in Casablanca free of charge. Participants will attend daily creative writing workshops (offered in Arabic or English), attend lectures by renowned writers and intellectuals, develop their soft skills and learn about literary translation and the publishing industry, revise and refine a creative project of their own, and become part of a dynamic community of fellow writers.This year's edition tackles the theme: Writing for Freedom. Talented writers will come together to ask the question: What does it mean to be free? Through studying fiction and nonfiction pieces that explore this theme, and through the wide array of sessions and seminars, they will develop a deeper understanding of the notion, and reflect it in the creative pieces they will work on during the camp.
When and where will the program take place?
The program will take place from July 22nd through July 28th at the American Arts Center Casablanca.
Who can apply:
Passionate writers who are interested in developing their creative writing skills.
Anyone between the ages of 16-25.
You must be able to participate in the full week program.
International students in Morocco are eligible to apply.
How can I apply?
Complete the application form , available in two languages. Please prepare the following materials, as you will be requested to attach them to your application:
Writing sample — 2-3 pages (1,000 words maximum) of original creative prose and/or poetry, written in either Arabic or English
Writing assignment — 1 page maximum in response to the following writing prompt: ‘What does freedom mean to you?’
Statement of purpose — In less than 300 words, describe in English or in Arabic why creative writing is important in your life. Please also discuss the difficulties or challenges you have faced in your writing, as well as what you hope to learn at the program.
A photo of yourself.
Optional — One Letter of Recommendation
You must fill out the application form (below) in the language of your writing materials.
All application materials must be received no later than 12:00 (midnight) GMT +1 on Sunday, June 26th, 2022.
- Send your application materials (a writing sample, the completed writing assignment, your statement of purpose, and a photo of yourself) as a single MS Word document to email@example.com
Both the subject line of your email and the file name of your MS Word document should be formatted as follows: "Participant's Full Name-Participant's City-TOW 2022".
- Please note that the writing sample (2-3 pages) and the writing assignment (1-2 pages) are two separate things.
- If you write in another language in addition to English or Arabic, feel free to share a link in the form.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. All submissions will be automatically screened for plagiarism. Applications that are found to contain any plagiarized material will be disqualified without notification to the applicant. If you are unsure what constitutes plagiarism, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don't meet the criteria for this program (due to the age restriction or your country of residence, for example), please fill out the form here explaining your situation. We will do our best to accommodate you for this or future programming.
- This is a fully-funded opportunity: Thanks to the financial contributions of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom and the American Arts Center, tuition, room, and board are provided free of charge to all accepted participants.
For more information or questions, please contact:
TOW Facebook page:https://web.facebook.com/OliveWritersTOW team: email@example.com