As part of the U.S. Embassy’s Moonshot Morocco campaign and on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2019, the U.S. Embassy and The Olive Writers Program are launching an essay contest celebrating the women who inspire us to break barriers.
Women in Our Lives Essay Contest
We all know women who have broken barriers. Women who have inspired us to try to do the impossible and reach for the stars. And while some of these women are famous, we can find many more right in our own communities – our mothers, sisters, friends, teachers, and other community leaders who influence us to reach our full potential and lead by their example. As part of the U.S. Embassy’s Moonshot Morocco campaign and on the occasion of International Women’s Day, the U.S. Embassy and The Olive Writers Program invite you to tell us about a woman you know in your community who inspires you to break barriers.
The Women in Our Lives Essay Contest is a chance to pay homage to one special woman who made a difference in your life and who instilled something in you for which you will always be grateful.
To participate in the contest, write an essay in which you discuss one woman who impacted your life.
In your essay, you should reflect on her life, your relationship with her and what it was about her that made you the best version of yourself. Storytelling is a powerful means to create an honest and compelling narrative in which you can contemplate your memories and dive into your past, allowing you to capture those moments when you felt truly empowered by a woman.
This essay contest is an opportunity to celebrate women, show gratitude and describe the great benefits of having inspirational women in our lives.
• Moroccan residents, both young men and women, between the
ages of 14-19.
Guidelines and Rules:
• The submission must be an essay of 600-1,000 words.
• The essay must be written in English.
• Only one essay per participant may be submitted. Multiple or
incomplete submissions will lead to disqualification.
• No part of the essay shall be plagiarized. Only original work will
be considered for the competition. No part of your essay should
have been published earlier nor should it be under
consideration for publication elsewhere or for any other
contest. Any form of plagiarism will result in the essay’s
• The members of the organizing committee and the panel of
readers are not eligible to enter the competition.
• All essays must be submitted via email only, following these
1. Save the essay as a Microsoft Word document using the file
name “Essay Contest-Last Name.”
2. Include a cover page in your Word document. This cover
page should state your full name, mailing address, email
address, CIN number, a phone number where you can be
reached and the name of your educational institution, if any.
3. Use the subject line “Essay Contest Submission” for your
email and attach your essay submission to the body of the
• If you want to share a photograph of the woman you have written
about, feel free to attach an image to your email, provided you
have the woman’s explicit permission to do so.
Dates for Submission:
• Essays must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org between
March 8-21, 2019.
• If you have any questions about the contest, please contact us.
• First Place: Kindle Reader and a 50 dollar gift card.
• Second Place: Kindle Reader and a 30 dollar gift card.
• Third Place: Kindle Reader and a 20 dollar gift card.
• The top eight essays will be published on our website.
• Shortlisted essays will be published in an e-book anthology after
the results have been announced.
What are you waiting for? Grab a pen and start writing!
We can’t wait to read your essays!
We can’t wait to read your essays!